The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

10 Reasons Why We Love/Hate Our Smartphones

Why do we have such a love/hate relationship with our smartphones? Why do we take them everywhere and talk about how irritating they are? Why does it feel risky or rebellious to leave them behind anytime we leave the house—even for a walk? On an airplane, why do we wait until the last possible moment before turning them off during take-offs? And why does it feel so good when we realize that, for a whole hour or two, we were so engrossed in a book or a conversation or a game or a movie that we forgot about them altogether?

I’ve experienced all these contradictions myself, and I wanted to understand them better. So I sat down and I made a list. Here’s what I came up with. See if you can relate.

10. I love getting new messages and feeling the love . . . 



. . . but I check my phone so often that I’m more often disappointed than not.




9. I feel good knowing my friends are within reach . . . 



 . . . but sometimes they text me and I don’t want to text back right then. Am I a jerk?




8. I want to get the facts . . . 



 . . . but often it kills the conversation.




7. I like getting alerts . . . 



 . . . but I feel needlessly interrupted a lot.




6. I like pleasant diversions when I have a little down time . . . 



 . . . but I usually end up spending more time than I intended, and I feel disoriented when I come back.




5. I like have everything in one place . . . 



. . . but I hate navigating all these different apps.



4. I keep expecting to feel more connected to my friends and family through my phone . . . 



 . . . but I still feel isolated a lot of the time.




3. I feel safer having my cell phone close by . . . 



 . . . but I resent having to carry it with me all the time.




2. My all-in-one smartphone . . . 



 . . . often turns into an all-instead-of-one smartphone.




1. I like being available without having to stay in one place . . . 



 . . . but now I have to be available everywhere I go.



Which numbers do you resonate with? Are there others you would add? Do you disagree with any of them? If so, leave a comment, send me a tweet @AdamGraber, or comment on Facebook.