The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

Studying Abroad

I've joined Twitter. You're invited to join me in the experiment (link). I'll be sharing articles on media ecology from various angles.

Now, this . . .
I was at the mall this weekend. That's pretty unusual for me. I just finished reading a book that, among other things, exegetes the mall as a medium, its practices, and its values (more on that in a future post).

The experience felt sociological to me, like a tourist. Walking around, I had a goofy grin on my face. All I needed yet was a digital camera around my neck and comfortable shoes.

Here are some things I overheard while I was visiting.

Reality Check
One high-school guy to his friend: “Why can’t we be born rich? We’d be miserable, sure, but at least we’d be rich. Have a couple of DUIs. . .”

Delayed Gratification
A 20something woman sporting a new bracelet she’d just bought to her entourage of friends: “I’m in love with it. It’s perfect. It’s exactly what I’ve wanted. For a while now.”

Tough Choices
Mom: “Would you consider getting some Star Wars stuff? Otherwise you could totally get more LEGOs. It’s totally up to you.”
10-year-old son: “That’s a hard decision.”
Mom: “It is a hard decision. You can take some time to decide.”
Pause.
10-year-old son: “Well, maybe I could have both if I get something smaller in the LEGOs . . .”

Well-being
Me in Urban Outfitters looking at books.
Salesgirl: “Are you doing okay?”
Me: [Nodding]

Value
Black guy into his cell phone: “Yiiiiiieah. 2 for $5. Yiiiiiiieah. Heh heh.”

Failure to communicate, or, Better late than never
20something guy on the second floor of Urban Outfitters to his friend: “I thought you said you wanted to go in here.”
Friend: “I didn’t want to go in here.”

Your mom taught you well