The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

"Hey Jealousy!"

I had this thought cross my mind yesterday, "I want to make people jealous of good things."

We mostly think of jealousy in a bad light. This makes sense, but not because jealousy itself is bad but because we're generally jealous of bad things. It's the objects of our desire, not our desires themselves.

But what if we were jealous of something good? Then we could indulge our desires for it.

Two years ago, I decided to sit down on a Friday night and watch a movie. All by myself. Mike stopped in before heading somewhere else for the evening. Weeks later he told me he was jealous of my night in. Then maybe 6 months ago, on a Friday night, Mike was torn between two different activities for the evening. Back and forth, you know how that is. Finally, he sat back and said, "I'm going to just stay in tonight and enjoy that." So he did.

It was really unintentional on my part. I was just doing what I wanted. It was really neither good nor bad. But what if we could make actual good things look good? Life is full of bad things that look good. Do good things just have bad PR? Maybe that's part of it. Maybe, too, part of it is that we just attach our desires to the bad things, like I said. We're just messed up like that.

But man, if we can find good things and make them look good, and show other people how good they are, maybe we can make them jealous for good things. That would be pretty cool.