The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

Sad Art

We recently published a book called “What good about feeling bad?” I like the title (so contrarian), but haven’t read it yet. My friend who has gave it a mediocre review.

Talking about movies and fiction with my family recently, my sister expressed her preference for feel-good stories that allow her to escape. This interested me because recently I’ve been more drawn to movies that are a bit darker and not so fun. For example, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, and The Savages are all somewhat bleak stories. Yet, I like them. One reason, I think, is that seeing the depths of darkness and hopelessness in some stories allows me to see how deep God’s grace goes. “God goes deeper than pain,” I like to quote Mike as saying. I think the same is true with some fiction. For example, Silence.

A girlfriend I had liked music that I thought was too dreary. We talked about it for a while. She was surprised by that description, had never thought of it that way. Music like The Weepies, The Shins, and some others. Yet there were some I did like: Johnny Cash, Sufjan. I think I’ve liked that sort of music more since then. I’m more okay with sadness, I guess. I think there needs to be a space for it.

The place of sadness is an interesting one though.