The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

More different

So Facebook just changed their format. You know that. Somebody I heard say they’re trying to compete with up-and-coming Twitter. I s’pose that might be true. It’s Twitter’s year I guess.

This seems to be a typical trend. Competitors become more like each other in order to compete. But this doesn’t make sense. Why don’t they become more different?

The iPhone succeeded because it was more different than other phones. To compete though, phones became more the same.

I think more different is a better competitive strategy. If it’s about competition at least. It worked for Obama (“change we can believe in” anyone?).

Why do people like Sufjan and his organs, horns, and banjo state-inspired folk albums? He’s more different.

Why do people like Mark Driscoll and his hour and ten minute sermons? He’s more different.

There are others. I wrote a list, but I can’t find it now. When I have a chance . . .

People try and distinguish themselves by becoming more like those that are popular. Distinguish by becoming like. . . How does that make sense?

I promote more different. You’re welcome to jump on board.