The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

from the position of strength

It's easy to talk about something we've come through, and overcome. It's hard and scary to talk about what we're facing right now. It's easy to sing "I once was lost, but now I'm found. I once was blind, but now I see." But it's harder to admit, "I'm lost" or "I'm blind."

We want to be seen as conquerors, not losers. And when the outcome is still unknown, losing is still a possibility. We don't like to reflect on losing. That's weak and pathetic.

Some have a knack for being transparent at the point of their weakness. I don't. But I wonder if that sort of humility is right and good.

It's easy to talk about when we were weak after we've become strong again. But to talk about weakness when we are weak, that offends our pride. And we're fearful too. People might judge us or pity us. They might be strong and despise us. Or they might not relate to our weakness and simply forget grace. But we need grace. We need something stronger than fear and pride.