The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

knowing God before loving God

I think I’m probably wrong about this, but…

 

Everyone puts a knowledge of God prior to a love for God. (Calvinists like it, and even the Christian Hedonist himself.) In our linear brains, how could it be any other way? How could you love God without knowing him? I don’t know.

 

1 Cor 8:1 keeps coming to mind: “Knowledge puffs up. Love builds up.” Maybe that’s out of context. But for some reason I still think when Jesus said “loving God” is most important, he was saying that’s more important than even knowing God.

 

Philosophically, I’m probably wrong about that: You can only love what you know. But theologically, I don’t know.

 

Maybe it’s not a matter of chronology but a matter of priority. Maybe knowing God does occur before knowing God, chronologically. But loving God trumps knowing God in priority.