The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

Wikipedia

When asked Do you think most people in America follow the Golden Rule? this guy, Tatin, responded, "I think the Golden Rule is not followed due to people being ignorant."

I don't know if Wikipedia should classify as a good cause or not. But if our friend Tatin is right, though I'm skeptical, then Wikipedia is making the world a better place by preventing people from using ignorance as an excuse not to "do for others as you would have them do for you." In any case, Wikipedia is taking donations to help spread information.

They break it down this way:

If you and 99 other people donate...
$200 – We can make Wikipedia available in developing countries through DVDs, books and pamphlets.
$100 – We can pay for two Wikipedia Academy events in Africa.
$60 – We can send three students to our annual Wikimania conference.
$40 – We can deliver 100 million pageviews of free information!

My favorite line here is "If you and 99 other people..." One person cannot make a difference, I guess, but apparently 100 people can. That means, the cost really breaks down like this:

$20,000 – We can make Wikipedia available in developing countries through DVDs, books and pamphlets.
$10,000 – We can pay for two Wikipedia Academy events in Africa.
$6,000 – We can send three students to our annual Wikimania conference.
$4,000 – We can deliver 100 million pageviews of free information!

I was feeling a little less inspired after I realized this. Nonetheless, I like Wikipedia and hope they stick around.