The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

Feed My Starving Children

It doesn't take much to fill a plastic bag with flour and rice and dried meat and vegetables. You could do it efficiently with a conveyor belt and a few packaging machines. You could save time and be fiscally responsible by doing it that way. Overtime the fixed costs for those machines would pay off, and people could just keep giving money for the maintenance and the materials, but Feed My Starving Children isn't using common sense; they're using uncommon sense.

I found a newsletter outlining food costs and child nourishment stories on the mail table (a wooden TV tray) inside our apartment door. It was addressed to my roommate, Mike, the socially responsible guy that he is. I picked it up and thumbed through it. In Haiti, I could give $300 and provide food for a family of 5 for a year! That's more people than live in my apartment, and we could do that no problem.

The unique approach of Feed My Starving Children is that they use volunteers to fill and seal bags of food, box them up and get the ready to send overseas. This gives insulated Americans a tangible, non-financial way to get involved in meeting the tangible, non-financial needs of people around the word. I first heard about it from my parents, who drove two hours to a car dealership in Des Moines that had closed on a Saturday to sponsor this event inside their showroom. They went with 4 or 5 other couples and joined about 100 people, packaging thousands of bags of food, each one feeding a child for at least a week. My sister and her husband, along with some of their friends, did the same thing, and had a blast.

There's so much good to be done.