The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

In Parallel Universes

If I wasn't a Christian, I would be a pure hedonist--that is, I would live for pleasure above all, my own pleasure without limit. I would be selfish to the utmost degree. That would be really easy.

Honestly, I don't really think that anything else makes sense. All the other religions tell me what I should or shouldn't do but that in the end it doesn't much matter because a) nothing exists beyond the natural world, or b) I am reincarnated for another chance. Even Islam says I get a second chance to make things right after I die. All roads lead to Rome I'm told, so what difference does it make what I believe or do.

It only matters in Christianity.

Of course, if I were me but not a Christian, I would probably be convinced there is a spiritual realm of some sort, so I couldn't justify being a pure hedonist. And, if I hadn't already committed suicide from lack of hope, I would've become a Buddhist. I think that's the next best thing if you believe in something besides the physical world and you're not a Christian. Being absorbed into the cosmos and entering Nirvana sounds pretty sweet.

So, either hedonism for the naturalist or Buddhism for the spiritualist. Either I'm god and I bow at the altar of self, or I'm part of god and I get absorbed into Nirvana.

Problem is, I've tried to be god and I can't keep it together. We all try to be god, some are better at fooling themselves than I am. But all in all, we're no crazier than a man who tells other people he's God.

Unless, of course, he is.