The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

FoxNews is my Pusher

In the 1970s and 80s, "pusher" became a term to refer to your drug dealer. A number of songs about pushers ("Pusher Man" by Curtis Mayfield and The Pioneers, and "I'm your Pusher" by Ice T) did little to veil references to the drug culture of the post-60s.

On my commute home today, I had this thought, sort of an imagined event: I wondered what terrible thing might I fall into unawares. I was speeding down a narrow four-lane where often there will be an individual skirting along the side of the road whom I eye warily, half-expecting him to stumble into the street just in time for a car coming by, maybe mine. Morbid, I know. It's mostly ludicrous and quite unlikely.

At work before I left, I was catching up on the latest national and international news, reading about the Islamic apostate who narrowly escaped execution by the court, about the woman in Tennessee who allegedly shot her pastor husband, about the guy who killed 6 including himself at a rave in Seattle, about the rape and theft with connections to MySpace.com. The list goes on. These absolutely unthinkable events commandeered the headlines on FoxNews.com. Story upon story of unusual events, unthinkable scenarios, and extreme occurances; much like my own vehicular homicide hallucination.

The media feeds us stories of the extreme, generally negative (they call the positive ones "human interest" pieces and place them at the end of the newscast if the have time). Every news website, search engine sidebar, and any other frequently surfed page brims with these headlines. All these extreme news stories become commonplace, the norm in our lives. We read them daily, expect them on CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC. We can read the lips of every news anchor. It doesn't matter what they're saying, we know what they're saying.

We read all these abnormal news stories everyday, and they become normal. Ones like the DC sniper picking people off at random. We fear for our lives because of these stories which happen on any given day to .00001% of all people anywhere ever.

I know what your thinking, saying, "Yeah, but is does happen. It can happen. It could happen to me." I'm thinking the same thing. The drugs I'm taking aren't quite so easy to simply quit cold. The drugs the media are pushing aren't so quickly purged from our minds, our imaginations.

But like every drug, even in the good ones, there's side effects, a down side. You hear about them on the news all the time. The drugs we're taking, inhaling, injecting, are hurting us. They're enslaving us to fear and hopelessness. These headlines that are in our blood are working their effects, pushing us down, tearing us down. Then we find ourselves hallucinating, living in the media-induced world, Gollum-like. We are afraid of the light, hardly men and women at all. We're just creatures, strung out on whatever our pushers are giving us.