The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

faux Christian music

Yesterday, I heard two Christiany songs on the radio. Some song called "Salt and Light" by Jami Smith, the other called "Just the Way I Am" by Big Daddy Weave (possibly the worst band name ever). I call them Christiany because the ideas they espouse sound like Christian lingo, the music sounds potently CCM, and they all pray and talk about Jesus.

Jami Smith - Salt and Light

Unfortunately, they fail to represent the Christian Bible rightly. Jami's song is boring, repetitive, and sort of whiny. The thoughts presented there are quickly, easily rectified. The chorus goes:

Make me salt
Make me light
Let Your holy fire ignite
Reveal Your glory in my life
I am not ashamed
To lift up Your holy name
Make me salt
Make me light


It's a noble desire to want to portray God's glory. In this cheesy song, it fails unfortunately. But that's not my main concern. Here's my concern: Jesus said,

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.


Any problems you see? The fact is Jesus said those who follow him are salt and are light. They don't have to be made to be salt and light, they are already. Simply by being following in his footsteps, this salt and light effect will be realized. This is the result of God's work in each individual's life, but Jami Smith's song makes it sound like a separate activity. It's not, and it is an irresponsible misuse of Jesus words.


Big Daddy Weave - Just the Way I Am

Lyrics:

You love me, you love me,
you love me just the way I am
You love me, you love me,
you love me just the way I am
Just the way I am

Besides being incredibly boring and uncreative, this song is so self-centered it's amazing Christians sing it. On their website, the lyrics are prefaced with this:

God's "I love you" was signed, sealed, and delivered, to us when Jesus died on the cross. There's nothing we can do to affect his end of the deal! Now our "I love you" back is simply learning to trust and obey.

I'm always wary of a song that has to be prefaced with a lesson, like "this is what I want you to get out of this song because I couldn't actually communicate it within the confines of a rhymed poem." I'd rather they had recorded the hymn "Trust and Obey."

I could say a lot of things about the philosophy behind it, but I will simply echo something I once read. "God loves you too much to let you stay the way you are." You are doing things in your life that are hurting you, whether you realize it or not. And while God accepts you as you are, He won't stand to stay quiet and let you keep doing that.

Big Daddy Weave and Jami Smith: You're being irresponsible, uncreative, and dishonest. The term Christian musician can hardly be bestowed on you.