The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

Dying for a really long time

From the moment we're born we're dying a little bit, it just takes some people longer than others. What Sarah Said was "Love is watching someone die." I think that's true, however you take it. I pass dying people in the mall or during my commute to work, even those I work with. I was in the room as my grandfather died, it was glorious. The fabric between heaven and earth was so thin: I was in the presence of a man who slipped between the threads, and I almost saw through.

Saturday, Feb. 25, 7:16 p.m. Eastern Standard Time
Tonight, you will become one of 6.5 billion people. 4.4 babies are born every second (poor .4 baby--have you ever seen one?). Do you think that means 8.8 people are making a baby every second then too? It stands to reason. We would've reached it a bit sooner I imagine had governments like the U.S. and China never legalized abortions.

A Millennial Life
The only thing that is eternal is our pursuit of being forever young, our search for that fabled fountain of youth. Aubrey de Grey has made that her life goal. She believes we have the potential to look and feel 20 or 25 for 1000 years. I can't imagine what that would do to the population.

I wonder too, we usually shake our heads most vigorously at the cursed deaths of young people. I had a friend die at 20, it was tragic. So, would living for a millennium make dying less sad, thinking as we do about 80- or 90-year-olds, "They had a good long life"? Or will we mourn more for death because it is less frequent and we're all 20?

The Centennial Life
Back in reality, living to 100 may become the norm within ten years for those living in rich, developed nations (i.e. United States). Apparently, "anti-aging technologies" are to blame for this increase. Even now, the lifespan of an individual is at an all-time high 77.6 years.

And so we continue the quest to defy God's curse for eating the apple. I've taken my own preventative measures. And science has little to do with it.