The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

It sounded more interesting in my head

Today is different. I have a thought, but I'm not sure where it will end. I'm not starting with an insight. But I'm hoping to end there, or at least begin that process. It's nothing that seems too important. Not yet at least. Maybe it will tell us about ourselves, maybe not.

Entertainment has been around about as long as civilization. It began, I'm told, with the comedies and the goat songs--better known as tragedies--of the Greeks like Sophocles, Aeschylus, Euripides, and Aristophanes. They wrote plays to entertain and to tell stories.

But why? What in the human heart and soul desires entertainment? Is it the truths endowed in some of these stories that we gravitate toward? Has some entertainment simply gotten away from meeting that primary need? Or perhaps it has nothing to do with truth at all.

Is entertainment a product of a broken world? I don't know. It could be. But, I don't see an inherent badness in it, except perhaps that it allows us to forget about ourselves. No man should forget himself. Every man should be able to face himself. But, I digress.

Entertainment has been around as long as the thinking man. Why? Clearly it meets a need, I think. Oppositely, desires grow out of luxury. Were the Greeks well-off enough to live in "luxury" and consider more than just needs? If so, we might argue entertainment is a product of luxury. But, I would bet that entertainment predates the Greek plays. So, what need does it meet?

Is the answer important? Perhaps not. Still it permeates our everyday lives. Like I said, no insights here. How 'bout you?