The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

Namaste

Don't tell anyone: I spilled Coke on my computer keyboard at work. Maybe it was for the best though. I sought out a can of air (whoever thought there would be a market for that) and cleaned my keyboard thoroughly. I must say the keys seem to be working better than ever. We'll see what happens once the Coke dries. Fortunately I don't use the Caps Lock very often. As for the Shift and Control keys, well I'm going to avoid various word puns that are coming to mind.

Sorry, I know you're curious now.

So, I learned about a Sanskrit greeting that's sort of like the Hawaiian "Aloha" in that it is used when coming or going. You may have heard of it: "namaste." It's pronounced "nah-mah-stay" as I understand it. Most accurately, it means, "The divine in me recognizes and honors the divine in you."

Now, those who know me (my apologies) know that I am not a spiritual enlightenment type. I don't go for the new-age spirituality touted on bookshelves and magazine racks and Oprah. I am spiritually minded though.

I do not believe that I am a god or that I have qualities about me which I might call divine. I believe in a non-material spirit or soul, but I don't equate that with divinity. I only call that "supernatural" in the strictest sense of the word.

Instead, I believe those who have aligned themselves with the divine have become portals between nature and supernature; portals through which the divine enters into time and space. As such, all the aligned are filled with the singular divine, united that way, so that each one walking around in time and space recognizes others in whom the same spirit is moving.

And they greet each other, recognizing the one divine identity, "Namaste."