The Second Eclectic

Technology changes how we relate to God and each other

Call it a Sports Complex

I'm not a huge sports fan, but I am a interminable generalist. So, anything that catches my eye, despite its complete lack of relevancy in my life can be considered interesting.

That said, I was reading a sports magazine today, and an article about George Steinbrenner caught my attention. I had caught the Kentucky Derby last Saturday, so I knew his well paid jockey and well-trained horse, Bellamy Road, didn't return on his investment. In the same regard, I've heard both lament and gloating over the last place position of the his Damn Yankees--mostly the latter.

To me, this reality has some sense of justice in it. I root for the underdog. We all do. We prefer the boys of the Sandlot to the pompous teammates who challenge them. America has always cheered on the ones who pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Ironically, we both fight against and contribute to what we call 'The Man.'

But, in the end, we prefer the story of Seabiscuit and 50-1 Giacomo to any story about another World Series for the Yanks.

This reminds me too of another sports dream team: last year's L.A. Lakers. Another team, like the $208 M Yankees, the Lakers were paid to produce a ring, a trophy. They were a machine built for one purpose. Not unity. Karl Malone abandoned his quit as 'The Mailman' in Utah and betrayed his loyal fans in an effort at personal glory in the form of a little gold ring. He lost even what little respect I had for him--as if that's worth a lot--by 'selling out.' Nobody likes a sellout. He joined the Lakers to produce a title. But they weren't even a team. They were individuals passing the ball resentfully to each other.

Then, they got trounced by the Pistons, whose team had hardly a known star. No big names, contracts, records, or egos. They simply united as a team, selfless and driven for a singular goal; not in a selfish drive to garner a ring but to be the best team.

There's something to learn there; I'm sure of it.